Do Not Be Afraid

This is the community built around the dump. They have plenty of opportunities to live in fear. Fear of going hungry, fear of abandonment, fear of dying.

There is so much panic and fear being spewed out of the media machine right now. If we aren't worried about an ISIS attack, we are worried about the person next to us coughing. They might have enterovirus or, even worse, ebola. We attended a big football game in Dallas last weekend. It never crossed our minds to avoid that area. We also flew our family to Guatemala three weeks ago. Several people wondered if we had been scared to fly overseas. But focusing on fear was never a part of our trip planning. Is that because we are special or superhuman? Not at all. If we had the time, I could tell you all about my past full of anxiety and worry. I could go on and on about how it has tried to consume me in different seasons of my life. But, God has taught me to reject fear. Fear doesn't change my circumstances. It doesn't help me to control anything at all. All it does is use up my energy and creativity. It also makes me feel bound up and miserable, stealing all the joy from my day. Instead, I get to make a choice:
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not LET your hearts be troubled and DO NOT BE afraid. 

Yay!! We get to decide not to let our hearts be troubled or afraid. We can't control what happens to us today. We can't even control whether or not our lungs take a breath or our hearts keep beating. But our Father takes care of all of that and much more. So, if he can keep our lungs working, our hearts beating, the stars placed in the sky, the planets orbiting and much more, then let's choose to rest in His care. And let's choose to not let our hearts be troubled or afraid. And that, my friends, is powerful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Valentines Tree

DADS!!!

Balloon Party For Elle Belle